Friday, August 25, 2006

Another reason to run...

I just got back from another good 5 mile workout. When I returned from my run I got word that my mom was in the hospital. My mom's health is normally precarious at best, so this is not too shocking to hear. But when I heard that her left shoulder was hurting, this made me think it may be heart related. Now I am waiting to hear back from my sisters on how she is doing.

Heart disease is rampant on my mom's side of the family. She has it, her sister did, her brother did, her mother did (she is the only one still around). My brother also struggles with this. High cholesterol, particularly triglycerides, are usually the culprit. So I watch myself - I could be next. I do have one advantage over all the others. I am not a smoker. Still, my cholesterol tends to hover on the high side. It just so happened that I got the results of a cholesterol test taken when I had donated blood a couple of weeks ago. 169 is my count. They don't give the breakdown, but if it is as it normally tends to be, my bad cholesterol will be low, the good cholesterol high, and the triglycerides borderline. 169 is not too bad. Chalk one up for me.

So I also run - aerobic activity - I work my heart so that it stays strong and healthy. I try to eat healthy and continue to explore ways to maintain good health. I am still convinced I will feel better at 53 than I do at 43. :-) And since I started having kids late, I need to be a healthier 50 and 60 year old so I can get to know my grandchildren!

So the next time I am running, and feeling kind of tired, I am going to remind myself that I do it to keep the ticker in shape, to live a full life, and to be a good example to my kids so they stay healthy. I run for my mom who can't run anymore but who was there "running" for us for so many years.

As it turns out, it wasn't her heart - but probably a muscle spasm. They are keeping an eye on her in the hospital as I keep her in my thoughts as I run down that road...

1 comment:

MarathonChris said...

Hiya sis - you are not supposed to find out about mom on the blog. I will see to that next time.

I am looking forward to when you start working out. We can do a race together - maybe something shorter than a marathon to start. You will need to start your own blog. :-)