Thursday, January 18, 2007

Lunchtime on the road for 5


What is more fun than working through your lunch hour? Running, of course!!! Although the weather has been a bit rainy (more on the drizzly side) by lunchtime it was perfect for a run. The rain had stopped but it was still plenty cloudy and even a bit on the cooler side (probably upper 60s)! I was scheduled to do 5 miles followed by some lower body strength training.

For the run I took a new route. I ran from the office and in through the UCF campus. I ran out of campus out onto Alafaya trail where I headed south for about a mile or so. I passed the first road to turn back toward the office but it was too soon! My run would only be just over 3 miles. So I continued to the next cross street into the office park, but it also seemed too soon. So, I figured I would head to the next (and last street). As I ran a little further I realized that the next street, which was marked by the next traffic signal, seemed a bit further away than I thought. It wasn't long until I realized that it really wasn't that far, and it got me back to the office at exactly 5 miles!

Although I had a good run, I probably won't run that route again. Alafaya Trail is a very busy 6 lane road - especially around the lunch hour. I was running against the traffic and the cars were kicking up dirt and dust - not to mention the fumes. I think I will stick to running around campus next time.

My splits:
Mile 1: 10:24
Mile 2: 10:55
Mile 3: 11:05
Mile 4: 11:21
Mile 5: 11:13

Total: 55:02 Pace: 10:57 min/mi
Avg HR: 161
Calories burned: 797

I was going to run at a faster tempo but opted for an easy run to some marathon tunes. It was a good run.

I also had a good workout afterwards with the weights.

Back at my desk....oh, about 2 hours later! Ah well :-)

2 comments:

Susan said...

I am so impressed with your productive lunchtime! My question is: what did you eat after that? And did you have to stay late to make up your time?

You go girl!!!! When's the next race again?

MarathonChris said...

After the run and workout, I ate a ham sandwich and celery sticks. I should say that about 20 min before the run, I ate 3 Cliff Bloks (about the equivalent of a shot) since I hadn't anything since my protein shake in the morning.

I work a little later to make up the time - and on my off days work through lunch. My schedule is pretty flexible - some folks can't take that much time. If time is limited, I run less, saving the longer runs for early morning when I don't need the weights.