Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Warm Run in the Sun


(picture taken shortly before sunset in San Diego - 2005)

It was a warm and humid day (as it has been lately) but my schedule called for a run, and I decided to do it as a mid-day break from work. Then, I could do my strength training afterwards (also as scheduled).

I wanted to keep up a good pace (under 11 min/mi). I also knew it would be hot, but 3.4 miles didn't seem that long. So I set off with the iPod playing my marathon music, running in the hot sun. My splits:

Mile 1: 10:22
Mile 2: 11:17
Mile 3: 11:10
0.4 mile: 3:20

Total time: 36:11 min Pace: 10:50 min/mile
Avg Heart rate: 166 bpm. Max heart rate: 182 bpm (Anerobic)

I took 3 walking breaks for about 30-60 sec each. With the heat, I also brought 6 oz of water with me. I wanted to take more breaks but I pushed myself to keep up the pace. I could tell that my heart rate was climbing, and about 1/10 of a mile before I got back to my starting point, my Garmin was barking at me that my heart rate had topped 180. My run ended at just the right time.

Afterwards, I did crunches, pushups and some upper body work on the weight machines. Finally, I did some stretching before hitting the shower.

It takes me well over 1.5 hours to do all of that and get back to my desk (sigh). Overall, it was a great workout! The heel feels normal (a bit sore after the run but icing helps).

Tomorrow is a rest day. On Thursday I think I will try to keep my heart rate in the aerobic zone (under 170).

1 comment:

Susan said...

What a PRODUCTIVE mid-day break! I bet you felt superb once you were back at your desk. Way to go!

I'm envious of your temperatures and sunshine. It has been so cold here!