Sunday, November 09, 2008

Less Than a Week Away

One week from now I should be reporting the results of the San Antonio Rock n Roll Marathon! I can't believe it is that close. I ran my final long run - 8 miles - in 1:33 today. I focused on a slower, marathon type pace. I also took the iRiver along. Although my podcasting has been non-existent, I am thinking of doing an episode, even if it is a short one, on San Antonio.

I thought about my marathon goals today. Based on how my training has gone and the weather (which is now showing race start at around 45 - 50 deg F and high temp of around 70 deg F):

Dream goal - under 5:00 hours
Highly desired goal - PR (under 5:06)
Realistic "would be happy" goal - 5:10 - 5:15

I am also happy to report that I am just $10 away from my goal to raise $500 for Team Parkinson. I have several names to pin to my shirt and run a mile for. There is still time to have me run for someone you know with PD. Just email me at marathonchris@gmail.com. A donation is not required for me to run a mile for someone with PD (or in memory of someone lost to PD).

I have been experiencing a little taper madness....that feeling that I am not running enough and that I may have lost some of the momentum I had while training 40+ mile weeks, that I am slacking! But I recognize the symptoms and will address it this week with plenty of rest, hydration, healthy eating and easy short runs.

It is also time to drag out my checklist and make sure I have everything I need before, during and after the race. The early morning temps look cold enough that I will need a toss away jacket and maybe even leggings - but I should be able to finish in a t-shirt and shorts. If the temperature starts in the 40's I may need gloves. I will have to continue to monitor the weather this week.

I normally carry a fuel belt, but I am thinking of using the water on the course. I still need to carry my Clif Shots so I may use my Camelbak fanny pak without the water to carry stuff. I am open to ideas. I want to run light.

More as the week goes on! :-)

14 comments:

Tammy said...

Hey there, I will e-mail you to run in someone honor this week, someone from my church. I know how it is going bonkers not thinking your not doing enough, you'll do fine you need to rest, You'll kick some booty on your run when your rested. I know you'll do great. Is any other bloggers joining you? Please keep me posted I can't wait to hear how you finish.

Maddy said...

Chris,

You may want to pick up a SPIBelt for your ClifShots if you're looking to run light.

I got mine at TrackShack, but I would bet you'll find them at the race expo. It's great for holding stuff and it doesn't bounce around at all. One of the best inventions ever.

Good luck to you next week!

You're going to do great!

Anonymous said...

I just found you from marathongirl on Twitter (I am GlossyVeneer on there...). I'll be running the same race as you in one week, I'm also experiencing the taper madness a little! I did my final long run (also 8 miles) yesterday and immediately started feeling antsy about the minimal amount of running on the schedule for this week.

I've been training with CytoMax, so I'm planning on drinking that on course. But I think I'll carry water with me so I can use that to suck down gels whenever I want. Plus, it gives me a belt pack to hold my gels and my cell phone!

Good luck on the race, I'm subscribed to your feed now so I'll be watching for your report!

Alisa said...

You are sooooo close. I think you can totally beat your PR! I'll be sending you good luck vibes.

Unknown said...

Good luck with your upcoming marathon. I know you will do great. Please take some time to take care of yourself.

Petraruns said...

You are there - taper madness is a sign that you are ready. Poised like a spring!

Maddy's belt sounds great - Cewtwo and I bought running caps with slots in them at Chicago which are great BUT you look like an idiot in the photos afterwards...

Susan said...

Gosh, I can't believe that I forgot to donate until now! I certainly intended to. Now you have exceeded your goal!

You're going to do wonderfully in San Antionio.

Kitzzy said...

I don't have any advice since I've yet to even run a 1/2 marathon, but best of luck next week. I can't wait to hear all about it.

ShirleyPerly said...

I always need gloves if the weather is colder than 50 degrees. Just hate having cold fingers when running. Maddy's suggest about the SPIBelt sounds good. I've seen a number of them on race courses.

And as long as the weather stays cool (no hotter than 70 when you finish) and water stations are at least every 1 to 1.5 miles apart, you'll probably be fine running without your Fuel Belt. Make sure you know what sports drink they are serving. At one Rock n Roll half marathon I did a few years back they were serving Amino Vital, which a lot of folks did not like.

Tammy said...

I agree with Shirley on the gloves with under 50 degree weather, It's starting to get cold here, when I went out today, I wish I had gloves, it was in the 40's do you know what the temps will be during the day for the race? Mid 40's is wonderful to run in, but your hand will be cold.

MarathonChris said...

Wow, thanks everyone for the well wishes and ideas. The temps for Sat night/ Sun morning get lower as the week goes on, so now it is gloves and possibly a hat. I may have to go with some sleeves (the TP shirt is a singlet).

Thanks Susan for putting me "over the top" on my fund raising goal!

You guys all ROCK!

G said...

I'll be thinking good thoughts for you Chris.

G said...

Oh. the amphipod belts are nice for carrying cell phone, gels, and stuff

Marathon Maritza said...

Oh Chris you are sooooo close! Go you!

I agree about the gloves, and I'm partial to the amphipod fuel belt. I can cram quite a bit into the pouch that comes with it and I love that you can remove the bottles and/or have them vertical or horizontal.